5 Steps To Keep Your Restaurant Mold-Free
Five Steps To Prevent Mold
Dealing with mold is an issue no restaurant owner wishes to endure. The high humidity of a busy kitchen can be the perfect breeding ground for it, but as inevitable as mold spores are in the environment, mold growth is an avoidable occurrence you can help prevent with these five simple steps:
1. Keep Humidity Levels Low
The EPA recommends interior humidity levels be kept between 30 and 50 percent to limit the possibility of mold development. Aim for the ideal level of 40 percent by utilizing fans and dehumidifiers in key locations such as the kitchen, bathroom and basement.
2. Maintain Ventilation Systems
The nature of a restaurant kitchen creates immense amounts of water and steam, making ideal conditions for mold spores to develop. Ensure there is an efficient ventilation system in place in the kitchen and dishwashing area. Regular maintenance checks should verify the system is clean and functioning properly.
3. Clean Regularly and Thoroughly
Mold thrives in dark, damp places that are often unseen to the obvious line of vision. The nooks and crannies of a restaurant kitchen can create ample opportunities for mold to develop: underneath sinks, behind appliances, or within refrigerators. Move equipment often, checking for moisture or water damage and cleaning on top, underneath, and behind all surfaces to minimize the opportunity for growth.
4. Inspect All Food
Chefs and cooks should be well-trained to identify signs of mold growth on food. Mold spores spread quickly, and any contaminated food could not only infect other food items but also spread to all areas of the kitchen.
5. Schedule Professional Inspections
Prevention is the preferred method when it comes to mold growth. To keep your Redlands, CA, restaurant running fungus-free, it is best to schedule a consultation with professionals. A mold remediation team has IICRC training credentials paired with high-tech equipment to verify your restaurant is not only mold-free but also at low risk for any future development. With a clean kitchen and professional contact, mold should find no home in your restaurant!